Premier league Web blog
just sahre information about premier league, game result, table

Liverpool Hotshot Fernado Torres Insists English Football Improved His Game

Labels: ,
The silky Spaniard believes the move to Liverpool and the Premier League has increased his ability more so than if he had stayed at Atletico Madrid and the Primera...

16/02/2009 17:31
Liverpool Hotshot Fernado Torres Insists English Football Improved His Game
The silky Spaniard believes the move to Liverpool and the Premier League has increased his ability more so than if he had stayed at Atletico Madrid and the Primera...
»Comments (5) Print This Story Send To A Friend Contact Us galleria zoom Fernando Torres' nomination for several mid-season individual awards seemingly guaranteed the striker's reputation as one of the best in the business.

He was a potential recipient for the Ballon d'Or in December and the recent FIFA World Player of the Year, as well as ranking third in Goal.com's Greatest Players of 2008.

However, Liverpool's latest idol - who is currently rubbing shoulders with the club's greats after being voted in at 50 of Liverpool's best players - has today revealed that he would have never fulfilled his undoubted potential had he remained at Atletico Madrid.

He told FourFourTwo magazine, "English football has been good to me because of its characteristics: it's fast, direct and there are very few stoppages, and that suits my game more than Spanish football. My natural qualities - the speed, the power - fit the Premier League.

"I play as a no. 9, up alongside the centre-backs. If I played there in Spain, maybe it wouldn't suit me: I would hardly see the ball, I would feel like I wasn't in the game. But it is so quick in England, you know you're always going to get the chance to run in behind the defenders."

He continued, "Liverpool's game is based on the team, on strategy; it's a very strong, well-organised team. Hitting other teams on the counter-attack with space in front of us suits me perfectly."

Torres also paid tribute to master tactician Rafael Benitez, who he credits for helping him with the various tactical refinements to his new role as the club's no. 9.

"Rafa was looking for a striker with my characteristics - someone quick who could surprise defenders and get behind them - but I had to learn too," he explained.

"For a lot of coaches the tactical side of the game doesn't matter that much but for Rafa it is fundamental; he is conscious of the way we set up, the movement, the organisation.

"I've learnt a lot. It's been a real pleasure for me to work with Rafa. At Atletico I played more on instinct, doing my own thing; here I have to learn about movement and positioning, about the team.

"One of the main reasons I arrived at the club was the desire to compete with the best and show that I was good enough to play for the club.

"The fact that the other Spaniards were here was great. The captains have been good too - Jamie Carragher, Sami Hyypia and Steven Gerrard have helped me from day one. And having Rafa made it easier to grasp the tactical side of things," he concluded.
0 comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Post

Category


Recent Comment

Followers